New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and USA Today bestselling author, Rachel Van Dyken, joins Kelly to discuss her latest release, Ruthless Princess, the first book in the Mafia Royals series. Other topics include Kelly and Rachel's shared obsession with Reality TV shows, the complex process of developing a SIXTEEN book series, and Rachel's dream sci-fi project... that she'll get to eventually.
Rachel Van Dyken
- Introducing Rachel Van Dyken
- Lots of love for The Matchmaker's Playbook (Wingman Inc. #1) - now a movie!
- The complex process of seeing your book transformed into a movie (00:02:01)
- What's harder to write: a novel or a screenplay?
- "The Science of Well-Being" - the most popular FREE online course at Yale University
- The importance of taking time to REST
- "The Bachelor" and our obsession with Reality TV (00:08:35)
- The beginning of Rachel's reading career and the library as a safe haven
- Shoutouts to Eloisa James and Julia Quinn
- An unexpected writing journey, from Regency to New Adult
- Writing the way you read and reading outside of what you're writing (00:17:09)
- Creating the worst character ever... and then making readers fall in love with him
- Writing the male point of view
- Korean soap operas set the bar for slow burn romance
- Rachel's latest novel, Ruthless Princess (Mafia Royals #1), available now (00:22:51)
- Binge-reading series during the time of quarantine: The Eagle Elite Series
- Rachel's sneak peeks at the next book in the Mafia Royals series (00:29:50)
- Why we love older women with younger men
- Age is just a number: watch 100 Humans: "The Best Age to Be Alive" on Netflix
- The research behind Rachel's mafia romance series (00:35:55)
- The Psychology of a Character and the "dishwashing method"
- The story you're dying to write? (00:40:58)
- Rachel's advice for "noobie" romance readers (00:44:55)
- Where to find, follow, and keep in touch with Rachel: on Instagram, Facebook, or join the Facebook Group for Rachel's New Rockin' Readers
Follow Boobies & Noobies on Twitter, Instagram, & Facebook @boobiespodcast and check out our blog, merch, and more on our brand new Boobies & Noobies website.
*Boobies & Noobies is part of the Frolic Podcast Network. You can find more outstanding podcasts to subscribe to at Frolic.media/podcasts*