The Boyfriend Project
Nathaniel Williams (@natwill91)
Samiah Brooks never thought she would be "that" girl. But a live tweet of a horrific date just revealed the painful truth: she's been catfished by a three-timing jerk of a boyfriend. Suddenly Samiah-along with his two other "girlfriends," London and Taylor-have gone viral online. Now the three new besties are making a pact to spend the next six months investing in themselves. No men and no dating.
For once Samiah is putting herself first, and that includes finally developing the app she's always dreamed of creating. Which is the exact moment she meets the deliciously sexy Daniel Collins at work. What are the chances? But is Daniel really boyfriend material or is he maybe just a little too good to be true?
- The unrealistic expectations associated with turning 30
- Redefining success and self-worth
- Why do I give people strange voices when I tell stories about them?
- Introducing The Boyfriend Project by Farrah Rochon (00:09:08)
- A smart story about love, friendship, and biases in the workplace
- Celebrating the history, heritage, and contributions of African Americans for Juneteenth 2020 (00:16:32)
- Synopsis for The Boyfriend Project (00:17:19)
- Defying our expectations and being happily surprised
- The most epic first chapter in the history of romance novels...
- Questionable sushi
- The difficulties of dating in general, let alone dating as a successful woman of color
- Discussing racial and gender biases in romance without defining the characters by their race or gender (00:33:07)
- Praise for showcasing people doing their jobs (and killing it)
- The fictional app that we all need
- The fictional company that we all want to work at (00:43:57)
- Somebody better call HR about these workplace massages, though...
- Everybody knows THAT employee
- The surprisingly seedy world of computer and financial crimes (00:48:08)
- What can you fit on your plate?
- Work and wealth does not define self worth (00:54:30)
- Take a shot - here comes a "Sex and the City" reference
- Nathaniel's "petty" notes and Kelly's "pretty" note
- Hiking on a first date might as well be a "Dateline" episode
- Our passion for "sexy realism" - condom talk, y'all (01:01:45)
- A couple of steamy sexcerpts (01:05:50)
- Heart, Humor, & Heat Ratings (01:10:58)
- Comparing it to Faking Ms. Right by Claire Kingsley
- Romance beyond cishet white authors and characters
- What we can do to curb the vast racial gap in romance publishing
Follow Boobies & Noobies on Twitter, Instagram, & Facebook @boobiespodcast and check out our blog, merch, and more on our brand new Boobies & Noobies website.
*Boobies & Noobies is part of the Frolic Podcast Network. You can find more outstanding podcasts to subscribe to at Frolic.media/podcasts*